Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1 2  Previous   Next
Blu-ray Combo's Disc Description
Author Message
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorprimetime21
Registered: October 4, 2008
Reputation: High Rating
Posts: 126
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
This is not something that should be changed it's based on a user vote (many of which were done years ago) where 39 people voted one and 22 voted another.  Out of the many, many Invelos users. I'm pretty sure that a small number of user votes doesn't necessitate a change.  Hardly something that warrants many new contributions where if it really bothers someone that much they can get change it locally.  Soon people will just be throwing up random polls for any small change and if it passes they'll just quote the poll in the contributions.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorrdodolak
Registered: March 18, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
United States Posts: 1,280
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting primetime21:
Quote:
This is not something that should be changed it's based on a user vote (many of which were done years ago) where 39 people voted one and 22 voted another.  Out of the many, many Invelos users. I'm pretty sure that a small number of user votes doesn't necessitate a change.  Hardly something that warrants many new contributions where if it really bothers someone that much they can get change it locally.  Soon people will just be throwing up random polls for any small change and if it passes they'll just quote the poll in the contributions.


Completely agree.  I'll throw in that number 4 is the standard abbreviations for both formats where as number 1 is a mix of a full name and an abbreviation.

Might as well include

Quote:
Main Feature (Blu-ray) - BC1799F540F7730F - FTD1EUE1 - Single-Sided - Double-Layered
Main Feature (Digital Versatile Disc) - 7424F540E4EDF9DC - FTD-0E-UW1.1_DES - Single-Sided - Double-Layered


and

Quote:
Main Feature (BD) - BC1799F540F7730F - FTD1EUE1 - Single-Sided - Double-Layered
Main Feature (Digital Versatile Disc) - 7424F540E4EDF9DC - FTD-0E-UW1.1_DES - Single-Sided - Double-Layered


DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorrdodolak
Registered: March 18, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
United States Posts: 1,280
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Wow, you've got to be kidding me that people are changing all of the existing profiles. 
 Last edited: by rdodolak
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorNosferatu
Registered: March 24, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 180
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
The rules state:

Quote:
Sets containing the same film on multiple media types (such as a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack) are to be entered as a normal profile for the main media type (Blu-ray in this example), with all included media types checked. A combo which includes HD media (HD-DVD, Blu-ray) as well as DVD should use the details from the HD media in the main profile. However, you may add an additional profile by Disc ID for the DVD content and add this profile to the Box Set contents for the Blu-ray profile.


From this, the wording is asking for "the main media type", so Blu-ray, not BD. That's why there's the phrase "contents for the Blu-ray profile". In that sense, it is logical to describe the discs as being DVD or Blu-ray. That would match the checkboxes on the General Information section of the profile.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorprimetime21
Registered: October 4, 2008
Reputation: High Rating
Posts: 126
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Nosferatu:
Quote:
The rules state:

Quote:
Sets containing the same film on multiple media types (such as a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack) are to be entered as a normal profile for the main media type (Blu-ray in this example), with all included media types checked. A combo which includes HD media (HD-DVD, Blu-ray) as well as DVD should use the details from the HD media in the main profile. However, you may add an additional profile by Disc ID for the DVD content and add this profile to the Box Set contents for the Blu-ray profile.


From this, the wording is asking for "the main media type", so Blu-ray, not BD. That's why there's the phrase "contents for the Blu-ray profile". In that sense, it is logical to describe the discs as being DVD or Blu-ray. That would match the checkboxes on the General Information section of the profile.


This has absolutely no relevancy to the topic at hand and is discussing box sets and child profile.  What does this how do about listing a disc as BD or Blu-ray in the disc ID?
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorrdodolak
Registered: March 18, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
United States Posts: 1,280
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Nosferatu:
Quote:
From this, the wording is asking for "the main media type", so Blu-ray, not BD. That's why there's the phrase "contents for the Blu-ray profile". In that sense, it is logical to describe the discs as being DVD or Blu-ray. That would match the checkboxes on the General Information section of the profile.


That seems irrelevant in this situation and seems like a stretch too far.  Technically, the full term is Blu-ray Disc which is where the abbreviation of BD comes from, just like DVD (Digital Versatile Disc).

Honestly, this wouldn't be an issue if DVD Profiler had a drop down box to select the format when adding discs and the user could choose how that information is display in their database similar to the UHD format.

This way the user could choose from (this could be set in the Options and then be a global thing):

UHD, 4K Ultra, 4K, UHD BD, UHD Blu-ray, 4K Ultra Blu-ray, etc.
BD, Blu-ray, Blu-ray Disc
DVD, Digital Versatile Disc

I admit the last two have a lot less variants that what we see for UHD.
 Last edited: by rdodolak
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorNosferatu
Registered: March 24, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 180
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting primetime21:
Quote:
Quoting Nosferatu:
Quote:
The rules state:

Quote:
Sets containing the same film on multiple media types (such as a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack) are to be entered as a normal profile for the main media type (Blu-ray in this example), with all included media types checked. A combo which includes HD media (HD-DVD, Blu-ray) as well as DVD should use the details from the HD media in the main profile. However, you may add an additional profile by Disc ID for the DVD content and add this profile to the Box Set contents for the Blu-ray profile.


From this, the wording is asking for "the main media type", so Blu-ray, not BD. That's why there's the phrase "contents for the Blu-ray profile". In that sense, it is logical to describe the discs as being DVD or Blu-ray. That would match the checkboxes on the General Information section of the profile.


This has absolutely no relevancy to the topic at hand and is discussing box sets and child profile.  What does this how do about listing a disc as BD or Blu-ray in the disc ID?

When you have a dual format release, the disc descriptions are the equivalent of the names of films in a box. I was just pointing out that the rules talk about the format of the disc, not the format with the suffix 'Disc' or its abbreviation.
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1 2  Previous   Next