Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

    Invelos Forums->General: General Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next
It's a Record Player Thing
Author Message
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorSpikyCactus
I have a Gold Star!
Registered: July 16, 2010
Reputation: High Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 517
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Just fitted a new stylus to my turntable. It's like going from DVD to Blu-ray!  I'm even tempted to say it's like going from VHS to UHD Blu-ray. 

(For the geeks, it's a 54 year old Thornes TD150 Mk 2 turntable, with the original tone arm and original Shure M75E Type 2 cartridge.  It was my father's originally; still have the receipt and paperwork for it, although it's probably out of warranty now.)
Do you ever find yourself striving for perfection with an almost worthless attempt at it?  Guttermouth "Lemon Water".  Also, I include in my Profiler database VHS tapes, audio DVDs, audio books (digital, cassette and CD), video games (digital, DVD and CD) and 'enhanced' CDs with video tracks on them, as well as films and TV I've bought digitally.  So I'm an anarchist, deal with it.  Just be thankful I don't include most of my records and CDs etc in it too; don't think I haven't been tempted...
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorscotthm
Registered: March 20, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
United States Posts: 2,845
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I had occasion to replace my vintage stylus recently too.  When I pulled my old Sony PS-X600 turntable out of storage a few months ago all it would produce was static.  I replaced the stylus on my Shure  V15 Type V-MR cartridge and now it sounds wonderful again.

I bought these new around forty years ago, but they'd been in storage for almost twenty years.  I decided it was time to put an end to that.

---------------
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorSpikyCactus
I have a Gold Star!
Registered: July 16, 2010
Reputation: High Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 517
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting scotthm:
Quote:
I had occasion to replace my vintage stylus recently too.  When I pulled my old Sony PS-X600 turntable out of storage a few months ago all it would produce was static.  I replaced the stylus on my Shure  V15 Type V-MR cartridge and now it sounds wonderful again.

I bought these new around forty years ago, but they'd been in storage for almost twenty years.  I decided it was time to put an end to that.

---------------


Yay, another believer returns to the fold.    But "in storage"?!    "Twenty years"?!    I can't recall ever being that cruel to my turntable, although I admit that many years ago it did spend a year under a bed; (along with my entire collection of cacti (and other succulents) in cardboard boxes and thus entirely deprived of light and water - some I still have to this day as most managed to survive the ordeal and now live in comparative paradise on my living room window sill)!    Old turntables are great, because they can still genuinely compete with modern ones; as a person who's recently become eligible for a UK Senior Railcard, I appreciate that.

With the resurgence of vinyl over the past few years, I've recently made the effort to get my turntable looking and working as it should again.  I'm now wondering if I need to get my old VHS recorder out and restore it to its pride of place in the cabinet by the TV - the space is still there, although a small Blu-ray player I use for CDs is presently squatting it; at the moment the VHS machine is languishing on the floor under my computer, on the off-chance I might want to digitise a VHS tape.  It lost its home as it never really got on with my current TV, it would either give me the picture or the sound, but never both at the same time - SCART to HDMI via my amp seems to involve some sort of 'new physics' presently beyond human understanding. 
Do you ever find yourself striving for perfection with an almost worthless attempt at it?  Guttermouth "Lemon Water".  Also, I include in my Profiler database VHS tapes, audio DVDs, audio books (digital, cassette and CD), video games (digital, DVD and CD) and 'enhanced' CDs with video tracks on them, as well as films and TV I've bought digitally.  So I'm an anarchist, deal with it.  Just be thankful I don't include most of my records and CDs etc in it too; don't think I haven't been tempted...
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantmediadogg
Aim high. Ride the wind.
Registered: March 18, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 6,387
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
I also recently joined the party. Cleaned up and adjusted my Dual turntable and fitted a new cartridge. Volume was low, but my receiver had a setting to compensate. Next step was to prioritize my 600 disc collection for transfer to digital, using Audacity.

Then I discovered "RecordScanner" app for my iPhone. Amazing. It can scan by barcode, label ID, or cover image, or search by keyword or Discogs ID. So far, after about 400 discs, there has been only a couple I could not find.

It is the Profiler for analog media (Vinyl / Cassette). You get a mobile database and a website, and a Discogs estimate of the value of each disc and collection as a whole. Items are put onto shelves by category. Really cool app.

Bonus, there is a button in the app that links to playing the closest match on Spotify. Most albums that have been commercially digitized come up readily. Best for popular non-classical. For classical, you often get a close match to the track contents, albeit with different artists / album. Still super fun. I haven't touched the turntable since. What a trip back in time I have been having, listening to Spotify as I scan and catalog my collection.

See it here:

My Collection
Thanks for your support.
Free Plugins available here.
Advanced plugins available here.
Hey, new product!!! BDPFrog.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorscotthm
Registered: March 20, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
United States Posts: 2,845
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting SpikyCactus:
Quote:
But "in storage"?!    "Twenty years"?!    I can't recall ever being that cruel to my turntable

It sounds worse than it is.  It's been in a closet of a spare bedroom since about 2004.

I really haven't taken to buying vinyl again (too expensive), but I have quite a few LPs already that I haven't listened to in years and thought I'd like to give them a spin.

---------------
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorSpikyCactus
I have a Gold Star!
Registered: July 16, 2010
Reputation: High Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 517
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting mediadogg:
Quote:
I also recently joined the party. Cleaned up and adjusted my Dual turntable and fitted a new cartridge. Volume was low, but my receiver had a setting to compensate. Next step was to prioritize my 600 disc collection for transfer to digital, using Audacity.

Then I discovered "RecordScanner" app for my iPhone. Amazing. It can scan by barcode, label ID, or cover image, or search by keyword or Discogs ID. So far, after about 400 discs, there has been only a couple I could not find.

It is the Profiler for analog media (Vinyl / Cassette). You get a mobile database and a website, and a Discogs estimate of the value of each disc and collection as a whole. Items are put onto shelves by category. Really cool app.

Bonus, there is a button in the app that links to playing the closest match on Spotify. Most albums that have been commercially digitized come up readily. Best for popular non-classical. For classical, you often get a close match to the track contents, albeit with different artists / album. Still super fun. I haven't touched the turntable since. What a trip back in time I have been having, listening to Spotify as I scan and catalog my collection.

See it here:

My Collection


Another comrade returns to the true way!  Good luck with digitising everything.  It took me some 20 years to digitise all my CDs and vinyl; recording, cleaning up the recordings, editing, converting, tagging, getting sleeve images...  Weirdly I just started this month on my cassettes, the last things I have left to do.

I don't know RecordScanner, will have to have a look see at it.  My music collection is all on Discogs. If anyone thinks the contribution rules here are complicated, check out Discogs!

I'm not a Spotify fan, not sure quite why, but it just doesn't really give me what I want.  I mostly either listen to my own collection on shuffle, or a few Internet radio stations.  Same with Amazon music, I just find it frustrating and musically constricting; it's the worst thing Amazon has, and that's coming from someone who's been fully absorbed into the Amazon ecosystem; Fire, Kindle, Prime, buying digital films and music.
Do you ever find yourself striving for perfection with an almost worthless attempt at it?  Guttermouth "Lemon Water".  Also, I include in my Profiler database VHS tapes, audio DVDs, audio books (digital, cassette and CD), video games (digital, DVD and CD) and 'enhanced' CDs with video tracks on them, as well as films and TV I've bought digitally.  So I'm an anarchist, deal with it.  Just be thankful I don't include most of my records and CDs etc in it too; don't think I haven't been tempted...
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantmediadogg
Aim high. Ride the wind.
Registered: March 18, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 6,387
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
Well, so far the RecordScanner app has failed to identify only a couple of the 300 or so albums I have done so far. So, no need to scan convers (other than a 2 sec cellphone scan to power the search) or do any typing. I usually have multiple cover images to pick from the Discogs library, and all the metadata comes over. Most of the folk, rock, jazz, blues, and R&B - i.e., non-classical albums are found directly on Spotify. No need even for digitizing, since the source material is identical.

In the case of classical, I very often get close cousins to my albums, but at this stage of my life, I am happy to just be able to listen to my favorites and recall my life and times when I first discovered that music and was listening to it more frequently.

My main goal is to sell as much of my collection as possible to get a few more retirement dollars to spend on golden years activities. 
Thanks for your support.
Free Plugins available here.
Advanced plugins available here.
Hey, new product!!! BDPFrog.
 Last edited: by mediadogg
    Invelos Forums->General: General Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next